Best Self Care Tips For Moms, or anyone for that matter. Hello Busy Mama, today we’re dedicating 12 self care routines all to you! Each day I like to perform a different style of self love (aside from my daily routine whether it’s makeup, showering, even applying lotion). How many moms out there totally forget or just don’t find the time to apply nourishment to their skin. Raise your hands. I get lazy honestly. I’m at the age where I just shower and get dressed as quick as possible some days, so skipping the beauty routine that keeps my skin from drying up is getting to be a problem. It’s awful, I know. But, I’ve found some amazing shower products that are making my skin shine without the added hydration afterwards. I’ll link them below.
Self Care Routines Every Mama Needs In Their Life
- Stretching– this is something we neglect because we think it takes too much time but it really doesn’t. Stretch out those leg muscles while in the shower, right after walking up that flight of stairs, or even in the middle of the day at your desk. Just extend your legs out in front of you to stretch your calves. I had a routine that I faithfully followed each day for stretching but I allowed my productive life to get in the way of this simple self care routine. It’s incredibly important not to forget this mama’s. Take 10 minutes each day just to stretch your body.
If you are working from home here’s a fantastic list of ways to stay productive & keep yourself healthy at the same time.
I’m a firm believer in structured routines and creating ways to live simply to feel good. In 2019, I started feeling really different. I was heading towards my 40th birthday in 2020 and it seemed as though my body was transforming into something I didn’t like. I’d tried all kinds of self care routines but nothing seemed to be working. A few years later and here I am writing about how to take care of us mama’s because it’s truly something we slowly forget how to do as we age. Never did I ever imagine being so young yet feeling so old, so rapidly. It hits you like a ton of bricks. But, we fall and we get back up again.
Simple Self Care Routines That Make Us Feel On Top Of The World
- Drinking Coffee is self care. I know several women and moms (and even men) who don’t drink coffee. Okay, I know a few. There are people in this world that don’t know what they’re missing. Coffee is a natural stress reliever and reduces the suicide rate in women. I’m not trying to push any mama onto drinking coffee by no means. But, try to slowly adapt to it, you’ll thank me later.
- Organizing your space and cleaning is a self care routine that every person needs to incorporate into their daily lifestyle. I’m not a stress cleaner so, I don’t ever think of cleaning as a daunting task, but I know some people who cannot stand the word cleaning. The secret to organizing and cleaning is taking your time. It’s not supposed to be a stressful event. In fact, cleaning all naturally alleviates stress. True. When your space is organized you feel really good about yourself. I definitely wanted to include this as one of the best self care tips a mom needs in her life because it helps with your mental health as well. Clutter creates chaos in our homes and minds. Let’s not forget that we deserve to breathe in our own living space too.
- Hydrate– I preach this so much because I forget all of the time. It’s just one small simple thing that needs to be done daily. The cleansing power of water is incredible if you drink it properly. Best filtered water I enjoy is Aquafina. We also have a filtered water tank in our fridge that gets changed monthly. Drinking water alone throughout the day can make a mama feel so good. Not only do you look good, but your whole system feels better.
- Meditate or be alone for at least 45 minutes a day. This may seem so hard for moms with babies or smaller children but let’s try to get that ‘by myself time’. And I’m not talking about going out shopping or grabbing coffee alone. I’m really talking about a quiet space in your home that allows you to close your eyes (put an eye mask over them), lay or sit still with your legs extended and just breathe. I go into my bedroom every day around 4 PM to lay down because I need to elevate my leg with a varicose vein.
Beauty & Relaxation Tips For The Everyday Boss Mama
- Eye Roll Be Like– Speaking of covering those eyes, we need to close them and just run the eye roller across the eyes, forehead and face. I’ve begun to bring this small beauty product with me everywhere I go. I’m to the point where I just whip it out and start rolling my face if I start feeling stressed or anything like that. Feels super good when it’s chilled. All you have to do to clean it is use an alcohol wipe.
- Beauty Sleep Is The Best Self Care Routine You Could Possibly Ever Give Yourself As A Mom- Looking back I wish I had slept more instead of always saying, “I’ll sleep when I’m dead!” Girl No! Sleep NOW!!
Helpful Ways To Get Your Beauty Sleep
I cannot even tell you how important it is to own a good pillow. I’ve spent so much money on pillows over the past few years it’s insane. Finally I found one that helps me sleep more than 5 hours. Having struggled with sleep deprivation almost my entire life, I’m telling all of you moms who struggle; get a good pillow and an eye mask! It’s sometimes the only thing that helps me sleep longer. And training my brain to just pass out.
- Wash linens weekly. There’s nothing better than falling asleep on clean sheets.
- Invest in a good pillow. All the pillows I have purchased were good quality and expensive. The one at Target seems to help me but each person is different. I have cooling ones, firm, semi firm, soft, down pillows, bamboo, gosh the list goes on. Pillows were always something I struggled to find because I have so much tension in my neck and head.
- Wear an eye mask to bed.
- Tune everything out. If you suffer sleep deprivation it’s so very important to close the day off by tuning everything out. Cast your worries and fall asleep.
- Lavender is a great essential oil that I mix in a spray bottle of water and alcohol to mist the room before I go to bed.
- Heating blanket or weight blanket. The only way I can go to bed is by covering up. Some people need it cool. I have to be snug and recently I bought a throw heating blanket just to cover myself up when I want a good nights sleep.
- Go to bed at the same time each night. Wake at around the same time too if you can.
- Drink tea before bed.
Dry Brushing Is The New Beauty Trend
A while back I wrote about how important it was to dry brush and here’s how. Just recently I mentioned it again on my social media. When I first discovered that these were actual dry brushes I was like, oh…it’s not meant to be used in the shower, rather before you jump into the shower. I like the smaller bamboo brushes because they are so much easier to brush your skin. Dry brush your skin daily to improve your overall health and well being. It’s a game changer for sure.
If you’re not into dry brushing as a self care treatment, exfoliate in the shower. Our DIY coffee scrub is perfect for naturally healing rough skin. I also like to use these kinds of sponges in the shower rather than a regular loofa. It scrubs all the dead skin off differently. I don’t even have to use lotion once I get out. Lazy mama funk.
12 Self Care Routines Every Mama Needs To Perform Daily
- Take a brisk walk. I know. I’m lazy too but this is such a necessity because the end result is what our bodies + minds need. Even if it’s just around the corner of your apartment complex, it’s a moment of simplicity and calmness. Leave the phone at home.
- Enjoy a meal without the kids. I have always eaten with my children. When they were small they always wanted what I was eating. It never dawned on me until now (they’re 22 and 17) how good it feels to eat in silence and alone. It’s self care to enjoy a meal without having to get up or to share it with someone else.
- Daily Affirmations. Normally, even if it’s quite brief I will be mindful enough to remind myself of all the things that I am in control of, how great I’m feeling, what I’m planning, making lists, moments of gratitude and self worth. We are so quick to judge ourselves and put ourselves last but it’s ever so important to make sure we remain first!
Last but not least the best self care routine to perform daily as a mom should be doing what we love. For me, it’s taking care of my plants. In return I take care of myself because that’s something I enjoy doing. Whether you need to grab a coffee while you’re out, go buy a new t-shirt or hair brush, eat lunch with another mama, read a book, write in a journal, visit someone special in your life, binge watch a tv show, indulge in your favorite dessert, cozy up your own space, decorate rooms, listen to a podcast…you deserve to do what makes you feel good.
Self Care Routines That Are Necessary To Our Everyday Well Being
Top Self Care Routines For Moms
Other ways to show yourself some love:
- paint your nails
- get a facial
- go out to eat without the kids
- try something new like a different drink, food, hobby
- go for a run
- take up gardening
- open a small shop
- instead of taking one day take two (sometimes a day off from everything is not nearly enough)
- organize your linen closet
- purge clothing
- get lost in nature
- go to a yoga class
- volunteer at a shelter
- eat healthier meals
- buy yourself something that you desperately need
What are some ways you perform #selfcare